Saturday 20 November 2010

Idea

I have decided to chose David Fincher films to aim towards for this project. Fight Club will be the main film focused on as it has been my favourite film for a while due to the lighting and colouring aspect of it as well as story of course. The colours often in David Finchers are the same being orange and light blue. I will try to create the same colours in my video.

Fight Club - Orange coloured scene

Social Network - Orange coloured scene

Fight Club - Blue coloured scene

Panic Room - Blue coloured scene

Se7en - Blue coloured scene

When comparing all of these images you can see that the colouring is pretty much exactly the same within different films. This is the sort of colouring I will be trying to replicate with my video. 

The basement fight scenes from Fight Club are my favourite as the lighting in the room is perfect to give it the grimy effect that it needs. Jeff Cronenweth was the cinematographer for this film so I will be looking into more of his films to get more ideas. Just like on the Social Network where he is cinematographer which also has the same director, David Fincher as Fight Club.





When looking at all of these photos and comparing them they are very similar in the colouring and the way they are lit. You can see two lamps in the background in all of the images to help light the scene. The use of these lamps hides the fact that it may also be lit with studio lighting behind the camera. So when the audience can see where the light source is coming from on screen it makes it feel more real. 

I will try to get some of these aspects into my shots where the only light in the scene is from the lights you can see in the image being lamps and other lights. Also many of my shots I will try to get the same dark and grimy colouring effects with heavy shadows like the scene in the basement on fight club.




Here is a video from youtube which shows clips from all of David Finchers films and demonstrates the basic techniques like camera shots, movements, lighting and colouring used in all of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment